The Peninsula Shanghai to open in September 2009
11 May 2009 GMT 17:11 (Shanghai)
Peninsula Hotels has announced that The Peninsula Shanghai is due to open on the historic Bund, on the banks of the Huangpu River, in Autumn 2009.
The hotel will be a homage to 1920s and 30s Shanghai and will recreate the look and feel of this glamorous era when Shanghai was feted as ‘The Paris of the East’.
The hotel has 235 elegantly designed rooms, including 55 suites, amongst the largest in Shanghai, all with Art Deco inspired interiors.
Designs feature tones of celadon or cerulean blue and ivory with rich mahogany and ebony furnishings, black lacquer, carved glass, polished chrome and dramatic contrasts of black Noir St Laurent and off-white St Talino stones.
There are also four premier suites including the Palace Suite which has the largest private terrace on the Bund.
The Peninsula Shopping Arcade will feature 25 of the world’s top luxury brands together with a hairdressing salon and The Peninsula Boutique. There will also be a Chanel boutique designed by Peter Marino in the style of Coco Chanel’s private apartment.
Restaurants and bars will include:
• The Lobby: a space of cream and celadon accents, black marble floor, limestone walls, spectacular chandeliers, Art Deco inspired carved glass ceiling, and a minstrels’ gallery.
• The Compass Bar: housing a collection of memorabilia celebrating Shanghai’s maritime history including the centrepiece model of the Shenking 2 boat that plied the Huangpu river and coastline during the 1920s.
• The Yi Long Court Chinese restaurant themed on the residence of a Shanghainese nobleman in the 1930s offering Cantonese cuisine with six dining room and Chef’s Table
• The Salon de Ning bar and lounge resembling an elegant drawing room in a private residence in Shanghai in the 30s offering signature cocktails and light meals
• Sir Elly’s Rooftop Restaurant, Bar & Terrace will offer international fine dining with a double height dining room, extensive terrace for al fresco dining and cocktails, a circular bar and six private rooms all with views of the city, Huangpu River and The Bund
There will also be the aviation inspired The Rosamunde China Aviation Lounge with stunning views over the city and which will be the perfect location for private functions.
The design of The Peninsula Spa by Espa will be inspired by F. Scott Fitzgerald’s ‘The Great Gatsby’. It will offer seven treatment rooms and two VIP suites, heat experiences and luxurious bespoke treatments. There will also be a 25m indoor pool and a fitness centre.
BBG-BBGM is the design architect for the hotel – the only new-build development on the Bund.
“As design architects of The Peninsula Shanghai, we are proud of reaching this significant milestone of what will become an iconic landmark hotel with 21st Century amenities amongst the Bund’s magnificent classic buildings,” said Louis R. Hedgecock, AIA, BBG-BBGM’s managing partner.
Under the design leadership of BBG-BBGM’s founding partner David Beer, the architectural design combines traditional elements, such as art-deco detailing and contextual scale with harmonious materials - bronze and granite - that respect and reflect the historic architecture of the prestigious landmark neighborhood, with a contemporary flair.
BBG-BBGM has worked with The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited over many years, having provided design services for award-winning Peninsulas in Bangkok, Hong Kong, New York, and Tokyo.